Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Old Roanoke County Courthouse Portraits
Object Name Photograph
Description A NOTEBOOK CONTAINING DOCUMENTATION ABOUT EACH PHOTO IS ALSO HOUSED IN THE SAME LOCATION. THE NOTEBOOK IS TITLED "ROANOKE COUNTY COURTHOUSE PORTRAITS, DEDICATION, ADDRESSES, APRIL 1, 1910"
This collection contains copies of portraits that were originally hanging in the old Roanoke County Courthouse.
On April 1, 1910, the residents of Roanoke County gathered to dedicate the new County Courthouse. Designed by architeect H. H. Huggins and built at the exorbitant cost of $50,000 the new "Temple of Justice" was the pride of the valley.
The dedication ceremony was a day to celebrate not only the future but the past. The key event was a series of speeches, taking up most of the day, to dedicate a new collection of portraits of local notables; historical images which would grace the walls of the new courtrooms.
The Courthouse Portraits paid tribute to the men who hac made local history. The idea seemed to have been that of Judge W. W. Mofffett, an avid history buff. Moffett may hav paid for much of the expense himself.
This collection consists of __ portrait copies. (Will fill in blank once a final count is obtained.)

Date 1/19/2018
Collection Portraits That Hung in Old Roanoke County Courthouse
Notes June 2016 PastPerfect Conversion